New data continue to show high demand for the state’s charter schools—as well as steady growth. At the April meeting of the state’s Charter Schools Advisory Board, held earlier this week, members heard a presentation that included data from the new 2022 Annual Charter Schools Report.
We share some key findings below:
- Over 137,500 students were enrolled in N.C. charter schools as of December 2022, around 9% of the state’s public school student population
- 206 charter schools are in operation across the state in the 2022-23 school year
- 85% of North Carolina charter schools report waitlists, totaling more than 77,000 students
- Six new charter schools opened this year; eight are slated to open in 2023-24
- 96% of N.C. charter schools met or exceeded all financial and operational goals
- Between 1997 and 2022, the State Board of Education approved 26.26% of yearly charter school applications, on average