A new publication from the N.C. Department of Public Instruction provides updated figures on public education in our state, including public charter schools. The report, “Highlights of the North Carolina Public School Budget,” includes data on expenditures, average daily membership (ADM), newly-opened charter schools, and more.
- During this academic year, 206 public charter schools are operating across North Carolina.
- N.C. public charter schools serve 138,352 students.
- By comparison, 1,397,273 students are enrolled in 2,484 public district schools in North Carolina.
- Six new charter schools opened in North Carolina this year, while 10 were approved to open.
- Overall, N.C. public charter schools currently represent 8.9% of the state’s total public school enrollment (ADM).